Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
plural nounthe seven deadly sins
(in Christian tradition) the sins of pride, covetousness, lust, anger, gluttony, envy, and sloth.
- ‘The latter, a collection of tales illustrating the seven deadly sins, was popular in 16th and 17th-century England.’
- ‘We must destroy those who would revel in the seven deadly sins.’
- ‘I follow the Ten Commandments and I make a conscious effort to try to avoid the seven deadly sins at all costs.’
- ‘Pride is listed among the seven deadly sins with good reason.’
- ‘No wonder it was made one of the seven deadly sins.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.