Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The time taken for a measuring or control instrument to get within a certain distance of a new equilibrium value without subsequently deviating from it by that amount.
- ‘The dependence on diffusion constant is complex, affecting both the settling time and the steady-state value of PKC activity.’
- ‘However, at intermediate diffusion rates there is a rise in settling time.’
- ‘The settling time of the voltage-clamp was determined by measuring the oocyte membrane potential as a function of time.’
- ‘This system will allow virtually continuous monitoring, limited only by the settling time required for each measurement.’
- ‘Data settling time is often more critical, as the strobe transition is typically more aggressively aligned with the data transition.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.