One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long upholstered seat for more than one person, typically with a back and arms.
sofa, couch, divan, chaise longue, love seat, chesterfieldView synonyms
- ‘He also sprayed her settee and wall-unit with some type of spray that left a white residue.’
- ‘Known as the Gentlemen's Cabin, it was an exclusively male preserve, where men could obtain alcoholic refreshments and lounge on settees.’
- ‘We've had to send teams around to remove three-seater settees from communal bins.’
- ‘Aislinn found a spot on the blue settee and the doctor seated himself across from her.’
- ‘She saw that the settee was in the middle of the room and the window was opened wider than it had been.’
- ‘Located on three levels with seating on stools, settees and at conventional tables, the place has a modern airy atmosphere.’
- ‘When she turned, Harry was seated on the settee appearing rather at home.’
- ‘Robert Naylor, 48, tried to deny giving lethal weapons to a friend by claiming he had sold cars, settees and a three-piece suite.’
- ‘The set of at least eight chairs, two settees, and four stools was originally in Worsborough Hall in Barnsley, West Riding, Yorkshire.’
- ‘He pointed toward one of the settees across from the windows and then commanded Adam to sit.’
- ‘Seated on the edge of her settee, hugging her knees like a nervous child, she waits, listening.’
- ‘Twelve-year-old Mohammed Ditta sleeps in a hospital bed with his father Mohammed Saleem next to him on a settee.’
- ‘Liszt was sitting with Madame Mayendorff on the settee behind me.’
- ‘At first stools, and later chairs and settees, were provided for the gentlemen.’
- ‘There were thick green cushions on the settees and rocking chairs.’
- ‘She too, remained seated on the settee, waiting for him to answer her.’
- ‘An array of leather high-backed chairs and two large settees would certainly make visitors welcome.’
- ‘I dragged them in front of my bed and sat down on the settee by the window, waiting for Ellie.’
- ‘There are also golden settees big enough to seat eight adults.’
- ‘We chose to sit on a comfortable settee rather than on hard chairs or impractical looking stools.’
Early 18th century: perhaps a fanciful variant of settle.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.