Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The branch of mathematics that deals with the formal properties of sets as units (without regard to the nature of their individual constituents) and the expression of other branches of mathematics in terms of sets.
- ‘He therefore attempted to put set theory on an axiomatic basis to avoid the paradoxes.’
- ‘This framework is probably a new development in logic and set theory.’
- ‘Ernst Schröder's important work is in the area of algebra, set theory and logic.’
- ‘In addition to his work on set theory, Cohen has worked on differential equations and harmonic analysis.’
- ‘In particular, she has attempted to reconcile poetry with set theory, a special branch of algebra.’
set theory/set ˈTHirē/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.