One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in tennis and other sports) a point that, if won by a contestant, will also win the set.
- ‘The set saw another exchange of breaks before Escude, conqueror of Lleyton Hewitt and Sebastien Grosjean, captured it on his sixth set point in the tiebreak 7-3.’
- ‘Moya took a 6-3 lead in the tiebreaker, but couldn't capitalise on three set points as Agassi evened the score.’
- ‘In the tiebreaker, he finally converted on his third set point when the Swiss swatted a backhand long.’
- ‘Jamie Delgado squandered two set points before going down 7-6 6-1 6-4 to former world number three Juan Carlos Ferrero, the 23rd seed from Spain.’
- ‘The Russian finally clinched the set on her fourth set point when Williams dumped a tame forehand return into the net.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.