One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A freelance musician hired to play on recording sessions.
- ‘He became a session musician, and hooked up with Frankie Poullain and fellow Lowestoft survivor Ed Graham, to form Empire, a synth pop outfit, in 1999.’
- ‘A 30-year veteran of the blues business, Flynn is an inspired guitarist who plays slide in a variety of open tunings, is an accomplished harmonica player, and an in-demand session man.’
- ‘Some were session musicians, for whom the recording was simply one more engagement.’
- ‘They look like a bunch of session musicians to me.’
- ‘Kyle Eastwood began his entertainment career with a lead role opposite his father, Clint, in the film Honkytonk Man, but by the 1990s he had become a respected session musician.’
- ‘Franglen, a former Spice Girls session musician, did some studio work with Graham Lyle recently, and the latter was so keen on being sampled that he helped Lemon Jelly circumvent the often tortuous clearance procedures.’
- ‘Later he became a session musician and played with Frank Sinatra on the UK leg of his world tour.’
- ‘You did play a lot of your own music on the last album, even though you have every session musician in the world at your disposal.’
- ‘Internationally Renee has worked as a session musician with artists such as Sting, Jackson Browne and Chaka Khan.’
- ‘And in the back is the sturdy session man, Mr. White, pounding out the rhythm that brings it all together.’
- ‘His time spent as a session musician and songwriter means that this expert lyricist and nimble guitarist has become accustomed to staying in the background.’
- ‘In 1964, Stax president Jim Stewart met Hayes and, impressed by his playing, invited him to work as a session musician at the label's studios.’
- ‘Longtime Steely Dan session man and touring player Cornelius Bumpus has died.’
- ‘And as such it has seen him rise to the top as a leading session musician for artists as diverse as Clive Dunn and David Bowie.’
- ‘Throughout this period, Clive was also a member of the Richard Thompson Band and in demand as a record producer and session musician.’
- ‘But unlike All Hail, Tallahassee is a true studio album, with fancy Vaughn Oliver artwork, slick production and session musicians.’
- ‘Ferguson, who hails from Toronto, is in high demand as a session musician and sideman.’
- ‘Carl Haley is a producer, songwriter and session musician who has worked with the likes of Darius, Blue and Lynden David Hall.’
- ‘No Direction Home has an interview with the sublimely cool and wry session man Al Kooper.’
- ‘Gavin is about to begin a music course at college and hopes to become a session musician when he graduates.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.