Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to the one-hundred-and-fiftieth anniversary of a significant event.
- ‘They and their contributions are only mentioned anecdotally, if at all, in the centennial, sesquicentennial, and bicentennial celebrations of the villages and towns along the Southern Tier.’
- ‘I first met Holliday when he spoke at a symposium hosted by the Oakland Museum during California's sesquicentennial anniversary of the discovery of gold in California.’
- ‘When Harper's Magazine was looking for somebody to put on the cover of their sesquicentennial issue alongside Mark Twain, there was you.’
- ‘On November 26, 1950, First Baptist Church staged an elaborate sesquicentennial celebration.’
- ‘In his sesquicentennial history of the SBC, Jesse Fletcher pointed out correctly that neither Barnes, Baker, nor McBeth had mentioned this document in their histories.’
- ‘But in this sesquicentennial year of Uncle Tom, scholars are working hard to clarify the public's understanding of this controversial figure.’
- ‘Official sesquicentennial celebrations marked 26 January 1938, but Aboriginal people protested with a Day of Mourning to mark the beginning of the invasion of their people.’
- ‘As a sidelight, Sir John Maddox gave a lecture tour of New Zealand in its sesquicentennial year 1990.’
- ‘The University of Michigan Medical School this year celebrates its sesquicentennial anniversary.’
- ‘Thus it was that I wound up postponing my degree and staying a fifth year to edit the sesquicentennial edition of the university's yearbook.’
- ‘Ten years ago I was asked by the Eastern Health Board to write a short history of St. Vincent s Hospital which later appeared in booklet form as part of the sesquicentennial celebration of the former workhouse.’
- ‘Renovation and redecoration of church property was followed by an elaborate sesquicentennial celebration.’
- ‘Now the town council wants Corky to write and direct a musical based on the town's 150-year history for the upcoming sesquicentennial celebration.’
- ‘The sesquicentennial celebration will last through May 2004 and will encompass a variety of special events involving those affiliated with the university, as well as its surrounding community.’
A one-hundred-and-fiftieth anniversary.
- ‘Philadelphia's 1926 effort to mark the nation's sesquicentennial with a world's fair was an aesthetic and commercial disappointment.’
- ‘He performed at Harold Washington's mayoral inauguration in 1987, at Washington's funeral, and at Chicago's sesquicentennial.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.