Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for frontage road
- ‘Even our service road hasn't been maintained for a couple of months now.’
- ‘Her car had been parked on the service road on Summit Avenue in front of Wallace.’
- ‘As the fire engine travelled along the A57 Liverpool Road at Barton, near Eccles, a Ford Escort emerged from a service road leading from the Makro cash and carry store.’
- ‘Areas near the new traffic-signalled junctions, a service road and a new pond are also being landscaped.’
- ‘Skelton said the two suspects were seen running across a service road on the mountain by two plain clothes West Vancouver police detectives.’
- ‘Spokesman Paul Hepworth said: ‘The original scheme had a service road which cyclists would have shared.’’
- ‘Almost invisible from the service road, the Tobias Grau building forms part of the second phase of Rellingen's development.’
- ‘The new road will be a six-lane dual carriageway with two-lane service roads on either side.’
- ‘In addition, the project consists of 2.3 km of inner service roads and emergency lanes.’
- ‘Residents and businesses were given a list of possibilities to ease the problem, including making the service road one way and introducing speed humps.’
- ‘This service road for the shops in Tolworth Broadway has blighted the lives of the residents of Hamilton Avenue for years.’
- ‘The fear-stricken passengers took shelter at houses located on the service road adjoining Sarjapur Road.’
- ‘I pulled out of the car park onto the service road.’
- ‘Anyway, head up the hill and on your left will be a service road which everyone who lives in the houses uses.’
- ‘A 300-metre stretch of Piccadilly would be turned into a characterless service road by high, monotonous buildings.’
- ‘From Bassetts, I took the Gold Lake Highway north for nearly two miles, then followed the forest service road to Sand Pond and the Sardine Lakes.’
- ‘The proposals for a service road off Eastern Avenue which also serves homes in the area were given unanimous backing by Southend Council's traffic and parking committee.’
- ‘The A168 is the former southbound carriageway of the A1 dual carriageway, which became a local service road parallel with the motorway when the old road was upgraded.’
- ‘But employees dodge cars when they haul trash bins along a service road.’
- ‘For easy access, however, it is usually located at the edge of an irrigated field or service road.’
service road/ˈsərvəs rōd/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.