Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A detachable compartment of a spacecraft carrying fuel and supplies.
- ‘The service module, and the orbital module are burned in the Earth's atmosphere, whilst the re-entry module uses its heat shield to make a safe return.’
- ‘On April 13, 1970, three days out from Earth, an oxygen tank exploded in the service module of the spacecraft, disabling the Apollo command module.’
- ‘For example, look at the solar panels mounted on the craft's service module and on its orbital module.’
- ‘But the service module will serve another more important function: until the crew arrives, its thrusters will keep the entire complex aloft, boosting it higher as its orbit decays.’
- ‘As was the case with Apollo, the service module will be jettisoned before entering the atmosphere.’
service module/ˈsərvəs ˈmäjo͞ol/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.