One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A detachable compartment of a spacecraft carrying fuel and supplies.
- ‘For example, look at the solar panels mounted on the craft's service module and on its orbital module.’
- ‘On April 13, 1970, three days out from Earth, an oxygen tank exploded in the service module of the spacecraft, disabling the Apollo command module.’
- ‘But the service module will serve another more important function: until the crew arrives, its thrusters will keep the entire complex aloft, boosting it higher as its orbit decays.’
- ‘The service module, and the orbital module are burned in the Earth's atmosphere, whilst the re-entry module uses its heat shield to make a safe return.’
- ‘As was the case with Apollo, the service module will be jettisoned before entering the atmosphere.’
service module/ˈsərvəs ˈmäjo͞ol/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.