One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An extra charge assessed for a service.
- ‘The three groups said waiving the service charge would be removing an income that an employee already enjoyed and it was an unfair labour practice.’
- ‘The service charge, which was paid by clients instead of giving tips, was shared between all staff and formed a substantial part of their earnings.’
- ‘Restaurants that don't add a service charge will expect a 10 per cent tip.’
- ‘Maintenance of the pool and communal grounds is included in the annual service charge of €1,320.’
- ‘Oh, and the service charge is not optional as it says on the menu.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.