One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An extra charge assessed for a service.
- ‘Oh, and the service charge is not optional as it says on the menu.’
- ‘The service charge, which was paid by clients instead of giving tips, was shared between all staff and formed a substantial part of their earnings.’
- ‘Maintenance of the pool and communal grounds is included in the annual service charge of €1,320.’
- ‘Restaurants that don't add a service charge will expect a 10 per cent tip.’
- ‘The three groups said waiving the service charge would be removing an income that an employee already enjoyed and it was an unfair labour practice.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.