One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The maximum height at which an aircraft can sustain a specified rate of climb dependent on engine type.
- ‘The 41,000-ft service ceiling of the Avanti is 6,000 ft above that of the B200.’
- ‘The maximum speed is 287 km/h and the service ceiling is 5,280m.’
- ‘The aircraft has a service ceiling of 22,500 metres.’
- ‘Neither its rate of climb nor its service ceiling was as good as that of the lighter MiG - 15.’
- ‘In other words, 25,000 feet is well below the airplane's service ceiling.’
service ceiling/ˈsərvəs ˈsēliNG/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.