One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person or thing that provides a service or commodity.
- 1.1North American A waiter or waitress.
waitress, stewardess, steward, attendantView synonyms
- ‘This scenario is then revealed as a drug-induced hallucination when the food server asks Harry if he wants anything else.’
- ‘Lee waved down the server behind the counter, who seemed to have been engulfed in conversation with one of the two men seated next to us.’
- ‘He watched as a line of servers carried silver trays stacked with food in the direction the men had gone.’
- ‘Use gourmet coffee and tea and teach bartenders and servers how to brew them correctly.’
- ‘In doing so, servers and bartenders should avoid words that make the order seem excessive.’
- ‘I want to thank you the waiters, the servers everyone was so nice and kind.’
- ‘Julia Stewart began her career in the food-service industry as a server at IHOP 32 years ago.’
- ‘The menu was an all-Bulgarian affair, but the bilingual server was more than ready to assist.’
- ‘I now work at a café as a food server to support my family.’
- ‘The set up crew stayed behind to act as servers, which gave the host and hostess time to interact with their guests.’
- ‘New servers and bartenders are certified in NRA's Bar Code program before they hit the floor.’
- ‘At the large tables, the servers plunked down, with rude haste, one bowl of rice in the middle of each table.’
- ‘The servers are presumably making more than a restaurant wage, yes?’
- ‘Right after the server brings my food, I offer a taste to each person at the table.’
- ‘Food servers appeared dressed in white uniforms for the formal occasion.’
- ‘The hostess ignored us at one point; the server didn't bring a spoon for my soup; wine, water, and bread were late.’
- ‘A bartender quits, a server walks, and the process starts all over again.’
- ‘If bartenders and servers are insufficiently trained, every aspect of the operation suffers.’
- ‘At a restaurant, you are paying for an enjoyable experience with a pleasant server and good food.’
- ‘I enjoy talking about food and wines with food servers and find it amusing to engage in heated debates.’
- 1.2Christian Church A person assisting the celebrant at the celebration of the Eucharist.
sales assistant, shop assistant, retail assistant, salesperson, saleswoman, salesman, saleslady, salesgirl, checkout girl, checkout person, checkout operatorView synonyms
- ‘He also thanked the choir, the reader, the collectors, Eucharistic ministers, altar servers and all present.’
- ‘The altar servers were Ashling and Niamh Farrell and Nellie Casey.’
- ‘Have you considered being a cup bearer, alter server, Eucharistic minister, and/or reader?’
- 1.3 A sideboard or similar piece of furniture, on which food to be served is placed.
- 1.1North American A waiter or waitress.
2A computer or computer program which manages access to a centralized resource or service in a network.
- ‘Access to workstations, servers or network utility rooms should be reviewed.’
- ‘It is used in personal computers and servers for low-speed system management communications.’
- ‘A server farm is a large collection of computer network servers.’
- ‘Access to reboot these servers remotely was not part of our job description.’
- ‘Sales of storage systems, laptops, servers, software and printers jumped as well.’
- ‘At the heart of your computer network sits a server.’
- ‘By the end of next year, the dual-core product line will be broadened to servers and laptop computers, he said.’
- ‘Last year, the government blocked dozens of computer servers believed to be sending spam.’
- ‘Fiorina says segments such as Unix servers and computer-repair services are making money.’
- ‘Our solution bases itself on a cluster of identical Linux servers, providing various network services.’
- ‘When I go to the Macintosh, I can see the Linux server and access any file I want from it.’
- ‘There are also problems associated with securing and managing large numbers of servers.’
- ‘Attacking both personal computers and network servers, the Nimda worm has already seriously affected one local business.’
- ‘Dell sold eight million servers, laptops and desktop computers during the quarter.’
- ‘With a network server, computers can share a single telephone connection.’
- ‘Consera makes similar software for managing Windows servers.’
- ‘If you're running a network, you can configure, monitor and maintain anti-virus programs using your network server.’
- ‘Consequently, block storage networks only allow servers to access their own disk volumes.’
- ‘It appears the issue lies with spam filtering software used by a number of internet service providers and web servers.’
- ‘Symantec plans to develop versions of the software for servers, workstations, laptops and handheld devices.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.