One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A serologically distinguishable strain of a microorganism.
- ‘The serotypes were identified according to the chart provided by the manufacturers along with the kit.’
- ‘Tests that aid in investigating the epidemiology of Listeria outbreaks are those that identify the serotype of the organism.’
- ‘Among the 102 non pregnant women in the present study, multiple serotypes were detected in 21.6 per cent.’
- ‘Each vaccine contains 23 purified pneumococcal capsular polysaccharides of S. pneumoniae serotypes.’
- ‘All the four serotypes of dengue virus could be detected and isolated during this epidemic.’
Assign (a microorganism) to a particular serotype.
- ‘Of the 143 patients with acute otitis media due to S. pneumoniae, 141 isolates were serotyped and 140 confirmed.’
- ‘The isolates were serotyped and tested for susceptibility to antimicrobials including those recommended for intrapartum prophylaxis.’
- ‘As we did not serotype these pneumococcal strains or measure antibodies to them, we cannot do more than speculate on the mechanism for this observation.’
- ‘The STEC isolates were serotyped at the E. coli Reference Center (Pennsylvania State University, University Park).’
- ‘However, when multiple GBS colonies were picked and serotyped, this concordance decreased to 80 per cent.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.