Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A serologically distinguishable strain of a microorganism.
- ‘The serotypes were identified according to the chart provided by the manufacturers along with the kit.’
- ‘Each vaccine contains 23 purified pneumococcal capsular polysaccharides of S. pneumoniae serotypes.’
- ‘Among the 102 non pregnant women in the present study, multiple serotypes were detected in 21.6 per cent.’
- ‘Tests that aid in investigating the epidemiology of Listeria outbreaks are those that identify the serotype of the organism.’
- ‘All the four serotypes of dengue virus could be detected and isolated during this epidemic.’
Assign (a microorganism) to a particular serotype.
- ‘The STEC isolates were serotyped at the E. coli Reference Center (Pennsylvania State University, University Park).’
- ‘As we did not serotype these pneumococcal strains or measure antibodies to them, we cannot do more than speculate on the mechanism for this observation.’
- ‘Of the 143 patients with acute otitis media due to S. pneumoniae, 141 isolates were serotyped and 140 confirmed.’
- ‘However, when multiple GBS colonies were picked and serotyped, this concordance decreased to 80 per cent.’
- ‘The isolates were serotyped and tested for susceptibility to antimicrobials including those recommended for intrapartum prophylaxis.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.