Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The quality or state of being serious.‘we are aware of the seriousness of the situation’‘she replied with deadly seriousness’
severity, severeness, gravity, graveness, acuteness, grievousness, extremity, danger, dangerousness, perilousnessearnestness, sincerity, wholeheartedness, genuinenessimportance, significance, consequence, momentousness, moment, weightiness, weightsolemnity, solemnness, earnestness, graveness, gravity, gravitas, soberness, sobriety, sombreness, sternness, grimness, dourness, humourlessnessView synonyms
- ‘This action marks the change to a new seriousness on both sides of the struggle.’
- ‘Victims and campaign groups believe the crime has not been treated with sufficient seriousness.’
- ‘Despite the seriousness of the problems, surgeons were confident the operation had gone well.’
- ‘Calls are supposed to be dealt with by nurses who assess the seriousness of cases before advising callers what to do.’
- ‘At first the idea seems cold and distant, perhaps robbing death of its seriousness.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.