Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each of a series of thin sections through tissue cut in successive parallel planes, especially for mounting on microscope slides.
- ‘For histologic assessment of infiltrating eosinophils into the lung tissue, serial sections were made and stained with phenol red.’
- ‘The anatomy of leaflets and prickles was observed on serial sections of tissue embedded in plastic.’
- ‘In most cases, this was confirmed by the observation of the flagellar axoneme in additional serial sections.’
- ‘The fixed material was embedded in celloidin; the subcutaneous tissue was cut in serial sections parallel to its broad surface.’
- ‘In fact, the precise topographic distribution of these angiodysplastic lesions can only be adequately resolved after histologic examination of serial sections of the entire tongue.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.