One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A noncommissioned officer in the US Army of a rank above staff sergeant and below master sergeant.
- ‘The Ministry of Justice revealed Monday that it had already informed the United States Forces in Korea of its decision to exercise the rights of its jurisdiction against the soldier ranked sergeant first class.’
- ‘People think that because my wife is a captain and I am a sergeant first class we have it made.’
- ‘He has just been promoted to sergeant first class.’
- ‘The Army suspended all conditional promotions from sergeant to sergeant first class as of January 1.’
- ‘They are having a debate during the break, trying to figure out which ranks are highest and lowest among sergeant, staff sergeant, sergeant first class.’
- ‘Since no one appeared, he decided to stop and see if he could do something, said a retired Army sergeant first class who served 29 years in the military.’
- ‘She is a retired sergeant first class.’
- ‘The bride is a sergeant first class assigned to Total U.S. Army Personnel Command in Alexandria.’
- ‘If they want to become a sergeant first class, a chief warrant officer, or a field grade officer, for example, they are going to have to plan on some extra days, attend meetings and planning conferences, and take on additional schooling.’
- ‘After four tours in Vietnam, a few more tours in Europe and Asia, I retired in 1983 as a sergeant first class, and the one thing that has not changed is the petty complaints that I see every day in the letters to the editor.’
- ‘Davis, now a sergeant first class with the Office of the Chief, Army Reserve, is proud of her war service, but like many reservists, she was surprised at the mobilization.’
- ‘Perhaps the most confounding situation involved an infantry captain and an infantry sergeant first class assigned to the G3 section at the Division Main Command Post.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.