One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a calm, peaceful, and untroubled manner.‘she smiled serenely’‘he is serenely confident in his own abilities’
- ‘The pages flutter gently, flap around like mad, or sail serenely on.’
- ‘A combination of library, cinema, academic centre, and film studio, its windows glow serenely on the featureless horizon.’
- ‘A Pickford aficionado, the director talks about being inspired by her serenely Canadian approach to close-ups.’
- ‘She serenely showed off the classic panache demanded of the last act.’
- ‘Once an isolated canyon and the sacred hunting and storytelling ground of the Ute tribe, the area remains serenely quiet.’
- ‘In 1965, black leaders marched serenely in smart suits, quoting the Bible.’
- ‘For serenely affluent Venetians 500 years ago, such things were everyday objects.’
- ‘Enormous personal sacrifices by thousands of employees eloquently bore out the rather unusual fact that people can really act serenely in a crisis.’
- ‘Once the initial awareness of nakedness had been absorbed, the mind settles down serenely to watch the dance.’
- ‘In the opening movement, the flute sings serenely against the orchestral strings in held chords.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.