One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A thousand raised to the eighth power (10²⁴).Compare with quadrillion
- ‘That, he says, ‘comes to only 1.6807 septillion languages.’’
- ‘This is a septillion times longer than the current age of the universe.’
- ‘Translated into arithmetical terms, the result is 79 octillion, 228 septillion, 162 sextillion, 514 quintillion, 270 quadrillion with 15 zeros attached; that is 79,228,162,270,000,000,000,000,000.’
- ‘Naturally occurring wormholes, if they exist at all, are likely to be extremely small, about 10 septillion times smaller than a typical atom.’
- 1.1British dated A million raised to the seventh power (10⁴²).
Late 17th century: from French, from million, by substitution of the prefix septi- ‘seven’ (from Latin septimus ‘seventh’) for the initial letters.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.