One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or divided into seven.
1A group or set of seven things.
- ‘Messiaen suggested that Salzmann should return to Paris on about 14 April in order to go through the score for the second septenary and take the material back to Lisbon.’
- ‘The work, which resembles an oratorio more than any other work by Messiaen, is in two parts (‘septenaries’) of seven sections each.’
- ‘By December 1966 the work had grown considerably, reaching its final number of 14 movements, divided into two seven-movement sections (‘septenaries’), and now requiring six soloists instead of the five previously mentioned.’
- 1.1 A period of seven years.
- 1.2Music The seven notes of the diatonic scale.
Late Middle English: from Latin septenarius (see septenarius).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.