Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A preparation of dextran used as a gel in chromatography, electrophoresis, and other separation techniques.
- ‘In some respects, the matrix might act as a gel filtration system similar to cross-linked dextran such as Sephadex that separates polymers by molecular size.’
- ‘We purified sequencing reactions using Centrisep columns packed with 0.05 g Sephadex in 0.8 mL water, following manufacturer's protocols.’
- ‘Free calcein outside of the vesicles was removed by gel chromatography on Sephadex G - 25.’
- ‘Substrate specificities of each phosphatases isolated from Sephadex G200 were investigated at their optimum pH.’
- ‘Those products were purified using Centrisep columns packed with 0.05 g Sephadex in 0.8 mL water, dried in a Centrivap vacuum concentrator, and sequenced on an ABI 310 automated sequencing machine.’
1950s: of unknown origin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.