One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The value of something to someone because of personal or emotional associations rather than material worth.
- ‘The object that the tool produces has at most a quickly passing sentimental value.’
- ‘Fritz Kreisler's arrangment of Mozart's Rondo in D Major, K. 382, is of sentimental value to Ms.’
- ‘A gold Cameo brooch of great sentimental value was lost in Bunclody last week.’
- ‘People are framing personal items that hold great sentimental value.’
- ‘Things that have sentimental value are of far more worth than any art objects.’
- ‘Items of great sentimental value were removed in this break-in, consequently having a detrimental effect on the owner.’
- ‘The plain gold band has great sentimental value.’
- ‘The garments were made from pieces of material donated by each family signifying some sentimental value to a member of the family, living or deceased.’
- ‘Many of the victims had lost items of great sentimental value that could never be replaced.’
- ‘Everything we had found that had potential sentimental value or significance had been grouped together in my parents ' bedroom.’
- ‘I had only just hidden the letter you sent me in a secret compartment in my dresser, where I hid many things of sentimental value.’
- ‘For a fairly large variety of reasons, April Gertler's work has some sentimental value for myself.’
- ‘The ring obviously holds great sentimental value for the owner.’
- ‘He grabbed the only thing that held any sentimental value for him.’
- ‘Martha said the plantings had more sentimental value than they did intrinsic value.’
- ‘A woman mugged on her way home from work has appealed to the thieves to return items of sentimental value.’
- ‘Many of these items have sentimental value or are works of art in themselves.’
- ‘All I want back are my rings and watches because they have sentimental value. "’
- ‘Any subjective valuation based on sentimental value does not enhance the true value.’
- ‘He even contacted some of his victims to tell them which pawn shops were holding items of sentimental value.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.