One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in martial arts) a teacher.as title ‘Sensei Ritchie began work’
- ‘God, he's fast for an old guy, she mused, dodging a roundhouse kick from her sensei.’
- ‘However his Judo sensei appreciated his talent and persuaded his father to allow him to pursue Judo as a career.’
- ‘In terms of a martial art, a sensei is the one with more experience who can guide you along the path.’
- ‘But since he beat every one in the dojo, won the tournament, and beat the sensei, the sensei offered him a job to help run the dojo.’
- ‘Only the senior sensei of the Dojo can have his back to the Kamiza.’
Japanese, from sen ‘previous’ + sei ‘birth’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.