One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Experience that is derived from the senses.
- ‘But now it is surely obvious that this whole wealth of theory cannot be extracted from any single occasion of sense-experience.’
- ‘The World opens with several chapters of criticism of the common-sense view of material things - criticism of the view of the physical world that comes naturally to us, and that is based on sense-experience.’
- ‘Another criticism levelled at Russell's view is that it makes an important but questionable assumption about the basic nature of sense-experience.’
- ‘If meaning was closely connected with sense-experiences, it was hard to see what experiences could confirm or disconfirm the existence of a God.’
- ‘In the experience of certain art objects, he suggests, the "intimacy" that is implicit in human sense-experience becomes more or less explicit.’
- ‘Other modes of sense-experience, e.g. hearing and smelling, will be dealt with only incidentally.’
- ‘The mind was thus dependent for its scientific knowledge on sense-experience.’
- ‘Things in the world seem to affect one another causally in ways that are difficult to account for properly by mere reports of sense-experiences.’
- ‘Sellars does not of course deny that sense-experience plays a part in our knowledge of the physical world; the part it plays, however, is first and foremost causal.’
- ‘In other words, in using language we seem to bring something to our perceptions of sense-experience which is not directly present in the experience itself.’
- ‘Before Descartes, philosophers held that human beings were endowed with both sense and intellect, and that sense-experience brought the intellect into contact with the substances that were the topics of science.’
- ‘But why should Reason, as opposed to sense-experience, be the arbiter of knowledge?’
- ‘Secondly, it is easy to show that our ordinary judgements of perception assert more than is vouchsafed by the sense-experiences from which they issue.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.