One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A supposed affliction of students in their final year of high school or college, characterized by a decline in motivation or performance.‘I try not to let my grades suffer from my senioritis’
- ‘Somebody asked me if I had senioritis yet, but I think I had that last year.’
- ‘The advantage they have in maturity and background information may be balanced out by the effects of senioritis.’
- ‘It's not always easy for a player who has accomplished so much to avoid a bit of senioritis, whether it comes from angst about the future or boredom.’
- ‘This is not the senioritis that is manifested primarily in skipped classes and an occasional mid-lecture nap.’
- ‘I failed to lodge a forceful protest because I also wanted to complete the check - a definite case of senioritis.’
- ‘No matter how much I'd like to regress and give in to senioritis, AMR will not let me do so.’
- ‘High schools cope with senioritis.’
- ‘Known for his tough, high-energy style, he appears to have a case of senioritis and has been demoted to part-time status.’
- ‘Luckily, senioritis has not hit yet.’
- ‘"It was senioritis," said Cohen, who admits he had four Fs, a C-minus, a B-plus and a "withdraw" his last term.’
- ‘My "senioritis" has not come in the form of apathy but just the opposite.’
- ‘But there is a potential detriment for teams that rely heavily on seniors: senioritis.’
- ‘I should have written it down on my hand; with my acute case of senioritis, that seems to be the only way I can remember anything.’
- ‘Part of this comes from a slight winding down of the hectic schedules we have all kept over the past two years, part comes from just being very efficient in getting through the course loads that we are all given, and part, to be honest, is pure "senioritis."’
- ‘It's back to the school grind, back to fighting off a severe case of senioritis for six more weeks.’
Early 20th century: from senior + -itis.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.