One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A noncommissioned officer in the US Navy or Coast Guard ranking above chief petty officer and below master chief petty officer.
- ‘O'Neal, 44, was a senior chief petty officer and medical corpsman with the Coast Guard's Port Security Unit 305, a team of boat drivers who secure ports and waterways at home and around the world.’
- ‘After 20 years in Navy law enforcement, he retired as a senior chief petty officer and moved to Angeles 12 years ago.’
- ‘He had been a senior chief petty officer when he was drummed out of the service for improper use of Navy resources.’
- ‘In session for nearly four weeks, the 75 enlisted and 13 officer board members reviewed the records of 14,223 eligible candidates; 1,850 Sailors were ultimately selected for promotion to senior chief petty officer.’
- ‘My mission after the landing was to become the senior enlisted person, senior chief petty officer, and we went into the ground phase at that.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.