One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of an Iroquoian people originally inhabiting upstate New York, one of the five nations comprising the original Iroquois confederacy.
- ‘Tribal affiliation did not affect clan membership; for example, all Wolf clan members were considered to be blood relatives, regardless of whether they were members of the Mohawk, Seneca, or other Iroquois tribes.’
- ‘French sources do mention Ohioan Senecas, but the company consisted mainly of Indians long allied with France.’
- ‘Cusick's text implicitly adopts or could be used to support the anti-removal position of the Seneca and other Iroquois nations.’
- ‘The case dragged on, and only in 1857 did Congress appropriate funds for the Seneca to buy back their land from Ogden.’
- ‘Tales of the Lakota, the Cherokee, the Inuit and the Seneca, all laid out right at the foot of the Capitol.’
2The Iroquoian language of the Seneca.
- ‘Mrs Asher Wright, who spoke Seneca perfectly, and who labored as a missionary among them for fifty years, recorded two Seneca myths as they had been related to her by Esquire Johnson, an old Seneca chief.’
- ‘Father also spoke Seneca and Cayuga, but he preferred Onondaga, the language of his father and of our longhouse.’
- ‘The Cherokee language belongs to the Iroquoian family of languages and is therefore related to Mohawk, Seneca, Onondaga, Oneida, Cayuga, and Tuscarora, among others.’
Relating to the Seneca or their language.
- ‘A respected Seneca warrior named Gaiantwaka, known as The Cornplanter, helped bring about this change, as did his half brother, Ganiodayo.’
- ‘During the latter conflict, the Seneca supported the British and in 1779, a punitive expedition under Colonel Brodhead was dispatched to the Seneca villages on the upper Allegheny River.’
- ‘The treaty established the sovereign relationship between the federal government and the Oneida, Onondaga, Cayuga, and Seneca nations.’
- ‘The Oneida language belongs to the Iroquoian language family, which also includes the Mohawk, Onondaga, Cayuga, and Seneca tongues.’
- ‘While the relationship has been strained at times, the treaty remains unbroken and in effect and was used as recently as 1995 by a federal judge to uphold the sovereignty of the Seneca nation.’
Via Dutch from Algonquian.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.