One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Send off or eject someone from a match, race, or contest.
- ‘Plate umpire Bill Miller and second base umpire Joe West noticed what they were doing and sent Day to the showers for violating rule 8.02 that prohibits a pitcher from putting a foreign substance on his fingers.’
- ‘He works the team for an hour or so, then sends them to the showers.’
- ‘Wayne Bremser - he of the Matthew Barney vs Donkey Kong fame - sends me to the showers thus.’
- ‘More likely than not, they will be sent to the showers early and rise up again - that ‘survivalist-at-all-costs’ strain of thinking always rises after a fall - at some other point in the near future.’
- ‘A loud chorus of boos rained down on Guinn in rounds 8,9 and 10 for his inability send Banks to the showers early.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.