One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant of a genus that includes the houseleek.
- ‘They feature specimens from three unthirsty groups of plants - sedums, sempervivums, and yuccas - all of which display handsome foliage year-round, with a bonus of seasonal bloom.’
- ‘I consider sempervivums to be our cold-hardy aloe vera substitute.’
- ‘Agaves, pelargoniums, yuccas, sedum, sempervivum, cacti - if they can survive your winters or you have a light frost-free place to overwinter them - all are suitable.’
- ‘Strawberry pots overflow with sedums and sempervivums.’
- ‘Aloes and sempervivums are renowned for their staying power.’
Modern Latin, from Latin semper ‘always’ + vivus ‘living’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.