One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A trailer having wheels at the back but supported at the front by a towing vehicle.
- ‘The first place winner was Tridekon, a company based in Eden that has developed a hydraulically-driven, telescoping swing auger for unloading grain from semi-trailers.’
- ‘In the state of Queensland, unrestricted access to the entire network is provided to vehicles such as standard semi-trailer combinations.’
- ‘For the purposes of this Convention, ‘vehicles’ means motor vehicles, articulated vehicles, trailers and semi-trailers as defined in article 4 of the Convention on Road Traffic dated 19th September 1949.’
- ‘The long main road between Montreal and Quebec City is the Jean LeSage Autoroute, a poorly-maintained epic of a straight four-lane highway crowded with huge transport vehicles, especially semi-trailers with loads of logs.’
- ‘When the Chees moved to Lismore in 1988 they brought with them two semi-trailers full of bonsai trees, which they have planted out in quarter acre block on their property.’
- 1.1 A tractor-trailer.
- ‘In the UK, the term juggernaut is sometimes used for especially large articulated lorries, whilst the term ‘semitrailer’ is almost unknown.’
- ‘In addition to his sporadic military recruitment career, Jackson once worked in a Colorado Springs factory making hand tools for Sears, Roebuck & Co. and had rambling adventures as the owner-operator of a semitrailer truck..’
- ‘In fact, ‘fishing’ is hardly the accurate term to describe what some harvesters do; during mating season, they drive semitrailer trucks along the beach and heave the invertebrates in by the thousands.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.