Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a substance) made by synthesis from a naturally occurring material.
- ‘This is a semi-synthetic substance used as a thickening substance and to encourage lather.’
- ‘Pyrethroids for example may be quite soft on mammals and birds but this particular group of semi-synthetic pesticides is extremely toxic to insects, fish and amphibians.’
- ‘Diamorphine is a semi-synthetic derivative of morphine with similar pharmacological properties but with greater potency.’
- ‘The Germans have begun work on semi-synthetic analogs to certain ferulic-acid skeletal-remnant panaxosides, in a mutual agreement with an unnamed Japanese pharmaceutical manufacturer.’
- ‘Added to promote lathering, this semi-synthetic agent is also irritating to skin and responsible for allergic reactions.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.