Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting an oil or gas drilling platform or barge with submerged pontoons able to be flooded with water when the vessel is anchored on site in order to provide stability.
- ‘They are working on the first semi-submersible oil platform to be completely built in Brazil.’
- ‘Our destination was a semi-submersible oil rig, by which I mean that most of it, two enormous hollow vessels, each the size of a warship, floated beneath the surface.’
- ‘The first is a custom-built Assembly and Command Ship, and the second is the Launch Platform, a semi-submersible vessel that is one of the world's largest oceangoing launch platforms.’
- ‘It had special communications and surveillance gear, however, as well as secret double doors in the stern that allowed a fast, semi-submersible boat to launch and recover.’
- ‘The proposal to build big semi-submersible ships that would act as massive floating hatcheries and be used to restock the oceans with fish has been presented to the Spanish Government.’
A semisubmersible oil rig.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.