One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having retired or withdrawn from employment or an occupation but continuing to work part-time or occasionally.
- ‘‘We primarily deal with a couple of groups in the Irish market - retired and semi-retired people,’ Golding said.’
- ‘Yates, now a semi-retired writer based in upstate New York, pioneered the Cannonball Run in 1971 before pulling the plug in 1979.’
- ‘Many are retired or semi-retired former dog owners who are happy to look after pets in their spare time.’
- ‘But the semi-retired builder, who has been a trainer at the club since 1984, is now stepping away from the ringside, passing the towel to a new generation of boxing coaches.’
- ‘The reason is that many a sales force in India are either semi-retired or retired mentally.’
- ‘The 48-year-old semi-retired victim was forced to pull over his car in Barleylands, Crays Hill, Billericay, when a Transit-style van overtook him and stopped suddenly.’
- ‘It's the kind of dancing the semi-retired Vietnam veteran learned growing up near the beach in Virginia back in the 1950s, back when everybody he knew called it fast dancing.’
- ‘In 1997, my father sold down his interests in Noel Leeming Ltd, and become semi-retired, having diversified into property and some silent business partnerships.’
- ‘Sweet Relief is a nonprofit organization that helps musicians in need of medical care and basic assistance, as well as aiding retired or semi-retired musicians.’
- ‘In the Probus context it includes retired or semi-retired people.’
- ‘Surely, it must be a sign that, apart from Manchester United, the English league is a rest home for semi-retired continental stars.’
- ‘All retired or semi-retired men and women over the age of 50 are welcome.’
- ‘This property is an angler's dream house and would be very attractive for someone who is retired or semi-retired.’
- ‘With Rita gone, the semi-retired Long Island businessman satiates his life-long wanderlust by working part-time in a travel agency.’
- ‘Will it be the all-action set of first-half super heroes who swept their opponents away when they met in the Celtic League two weeks ago; or will it be the semi-retired set of complacent ramblers who turned up in the second half?’
- ‘I'm a 68 year old semi-retired small businessman.’
- ‘White is a successful, semi-retired businessman with a 32-year career behind him, a good part of which was spent with a small aircraft company.’
- ‘If you are retired or semi-retired, you are invited to a public meeting in the library on Wednesday next, November 6 at 8pm.’
- ‘For reasons of confidentiality, Mr Bevan was unable to give any more details about the mystery donor, suffice to say that he is aged 38, was originally from London and is semi-retired.’
- ‘Now semi-retired - ‘I still pop into the office two days a week’ - Doyle can appreciate anyone wanting to give up the day job, but he does not think Hendry is ready to do so yet.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.