One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A variety of white wine grape grown in France and elsewhere.
- ‘An essential white grape of Bordeaux, Sémillon is a golden-berried goddess, producing some of the longest-lasting white wines ever made.’
- ‘Sémillon ripens earlier in the season than most grapes and is less likely to be damaged by rains or frost.’
- ‘Three grape varieties are planted: Sémillon, Sauvignon Blanc, and Muscadelle.’
- 1.1 A white wine made from the Semillon grape.
- ‘In the great, long-lived dry whites of Graves and Pessac-Léognan Sémillon usually predominates and inspires rich, golden, honeyed, viscous wines quite unlike any Sémillons made elsewhere.’
- ‘Drinking Semillon is like drinking a tropical fruit mix topped with honey.’
French dialect, based on Latin semen ‘seed’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.