One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A variety of white wine grape grown in France and elsewhere.
- ‘Sémillon ripens earlier in the season than most grapes and is less likely to be damaged by rains or frost.’
- ‘Three grape varieties are planted: Sémillon, Sauvignon Blanc, and Muscadelle.’
- ‘An essential white grape of Bordeaux, Sémillon is a golden-berried goddess, producing some of the longest-lasting white wines ever made.’
- 1.1 A white wine made from the Semillon grape.
- ‘Drinking Semillon is like drinking a tropical fruit mix topped with honey.’
- ‘In the great, long-lived dry whites of Graves and Pessac-Léognan Sémillon usually predominates and inspires rich, golden, honeyed, viscous wines quite unlike any Sémillons made elsewhere.’
French dialect, based on Latin semen ‘seed’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.