Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A variety of white wine grape grown in France and elsewhere.
- ‘An essential white grape of Bordeaux, Sémillon is a golden-berried goddess, producing some of the longest-lasting white wines ever made.’
- ‘Sémillon ripens earlier in the season than most grapes and is less likely to be damaged by rains or frost.’
- ‘Three grape varieties are planted: Sémillon, Sauvignon Blanc, and Muscadelle.’
- 1.1A white wine made from the Sémillon grape.
- ‘Drinking Semillon is like drinking a tropical fruit mix topped with honey.’
- ‘In the great, long-lived dry whites of Graves and Pessac-Léognan Sémillon usually predominates and inspires rich, golden, honeyed, viscous wines quite unlike any Sémillons made elsewhere.’
French dialect, based on Latin semen seed.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.