Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A partially frozen Italian dessert.
- ‘A super pairing of pistachio and chocolate in a semifreddo.’
- ‘Why shouldn't semifreddo - aka cheat's ice cream - do the trick?’
- ‘None of the desserts produced such an extreme reaction - though the honey semifreddo was chalky, and the panna cotta was rock-hard and came with a weird assemblage of plums.’
- ‘Chocolate semifreddo reminded us of frozen frosting, and panna cotta garnished with fresh strawberries was rich and eggy.’
- ‘Four courses of food so invigorating and so gratifying, and yet you leave feeling lighter than your lime semifreddo.’
- ‘I was supposed to make a parfait - the French word for perfect, it's sort of a semifreddo or an ice cream without all the stirring.’
- ‘The lemon semifreddo is better than you think it's going to be.’
- ‘Not the fried chicken and waffles from Jones or the bittersweet chocolate semifreddo from Novelty?’
- ‘For dessert, they picked at little beignets spiked with amaretto (okay), wheels of vanilla-yogurt semifreddo (good), and honey-tinged mascarpone tarts capped with twirls of candied orange peel (very good).’
- ‘The strawberry-and-mascarpone frozen parfait provided a satiating end to the meal, a rare feat for a semifreddo.’
- ‘After lunch, have a splendid ice-cream or semifreddo, made from the best dark chocolate.’
- ‘Strawberry-rhubarb strudel and strawberry-pistachio semifreddo are way too ephemeral, hazelnut dome too pallid, the house fancy cake too fancy.’
- ‘The first issue, featuring a scoop of vanilla semifreddo on the cover, was expected to sell around 20,000 copies in Australia.’
- ‘It's embedded with berries and served with a wispy spoonful of semifreddo.’
- ‘One is a dessert called the passionatta, essentially a passion fruit semifreddo, shaped into a disk and sandwiched between hard white chocolate and a top layer of passion fruit gelee.’
- ‘There was a selection of cooling sorbets as well, and a Mama-size icy concoction of Chianti jelly, Prosecco sorbet, and lemon semifreddo, all stacked up in a frosty glass.’
- ‘Semifreddo is the perfect Christmas pudding for children, they love it.’
Italian, from semi- semi- + freddo cold.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.