One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Combining formal and informal elements.‘in the semiformal atmosphere irritations can be aired’
- ‘Today, it's another iteration of ‘How to dress yourself,’ this time for semiformal events such as… well, this work function, or a nice party.’
- ‘My wedding was semiformal, so everyone just dressed neat and tidy.’
- ‘Sometimes the biggest challenge to getting ready for a semi-formal date is defining ‘semiformal.’’
- 1.1 Used to describe clothing that is neither formal nor casual and that is typically worn for a dance, wedding, or other event.‘the casino has a semiformal dress code (men must wear a tie and jacket)’
- ‘Patients prefer doctors to wear semiformal dress and are most comfortable with conservative items.’
- ‘Most dress or semiformal trousers should have a slight to medium break when the bottom meets the shoe, no more than one inch.’
- ‘If the wedding in question takes place before 6:30 or 7:00 at night, there's a good chance that the bride and groom are skipping black tie and opting instead for semiformal dress.’
An event at which semiformal attire is expected.‘it had organized its own spring semiformal at a nearby hotel’
- ‘As I mentioned, I invited him to be my date for the semiformal of my junior year.’
- ‘I met him at the semiformal that Scott was supposed to attend with me.’
- ‘My school has what we call the semiformal (semi, for short), which is held in December.’
- ‘Later that evening the Kimmel Center hosts a red-carpet-styled gala for the glitterati and a dress-to-the-nines semiformal.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.