One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Combining formal and informal elements.‘in the semiformal atmosphere irritations can be aired’
- ‘Sometimes the biggest challenge to getting ready for a semi-formal date is defining ‘semiformal.’’
- ‘My wedding was semiformal, so everyone just dressed neat and tidy.’
- ‘Today, it's another iteration of ‘How to dress yourself,’ this time for semiformal events such as… well, this work function, or a nice party.’
- 1.1 Used to describe clothing that is neither formal nor casual and that is typically worn for a dance, wedding, or other event.‘the casino has a semiformal dress code (men must wear a tie and jacket)’
- ‘If the wedding in question takes place before 6:30 or 7:00 at night, there's a good chance that the bride and groom are skipping black tie and opting instead for semiformal dress.’
- ‘Most dress or semiformal trousers should have a slight to medium break when the bottom meets the shoe, no more than one inch.’
- ‘Patients prefer doctors to wear semiformal dress and are most comfortable with conservative items.’
An event at which semiformal attire is expected.‘it had organized its own spring semiformal at a nearby hotel’
- ‘Later that evening the Kimmel Center hosts a red-carpet-styled gala for the glitterati and a dress-to-the-nines semiformal.’
- ‘I met him at the semiformal that Scott was supposed to attend with me.’
- ‘My school has what we call the semiformal (semi, for short), which is held in December.’
- ‘As I mentioned, I invited him to be my date for the semiformal of my junior year.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.