One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having the shape of half of an ellipse bisected by one of its diameters, especially the major axis.
- ‘Suspension is by rigid-axle bogie on longitudinal semi-elliptical leaf springs.’
- ‘Convex anterior border is transversely semi-elliptical in outline, with length equal to nearly 30 percent of width along border furrow.’
- ‘Sections of the flattened wire show a continuous rather than an angular transition from the flats into semi-elliptical edges practically without any stress concentrations.’
- ‘Though rectangular in form, an Ionic colonnade (rather than Corinthian, as in Washington) that contained a gallery for spectators threw the northern end of the room into a semi-elliptical figure.’
- ‘The reading room and its semi-elliptical extension are clad in monochromely pale Spanish stone counterpoised to the Portland stone of the Classical facades, in which patching is deliberately clearly visible.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.