One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A solid substance that has a conductivity between that of an insulator and that of most metals, either due to the addition of an impurity or because of temperature effects. Devices made of semiconductors, notably silicon, are essential components of most electronic circuits.
- ‘So, semiconductors and conducting polymers have much lower conductivity than metals.’
- ‘His field was organic or carbon-based semiconductors, and Schön appeared able to grab every holy grail in the business.’
- ‘A completely different class of materials organic semiconductors are being developed for these applications.’
- ‘About two-thirds of nanotubes are semiconductors, and the remaining third are metals.’
- ‘I especially like semiconductors and semiconductor capital equipment.’
- ‘Let's start with the components and semiconductors used in telecommunications.’
- ‘I am talking about real technology companies that make real things like semiconductors or components or have proprietary software.’
- ‘The photoelectric effect is the release of electrons from certain metals or semiconductors by the action of light.’
- ‘Japan's major export industries include automobiles, consumer electronics computers, semiconductors, and iron and steel.’
- ‘As a semiconductor for electronics, silicon has always been a compromise between cost and ability.’
- ‘Excitons are created in semiconductors when a laser field promotes an electron from the valance band to the conduction band.’
- ‘He is a physicist with interests in opto-electronics, lasers, fibre optics, semiconductors and integrated circuits.’
- ‘Unlike most polymers, conducting polymers have the electrical and optical properties of metals or semiconductors.’
- ‘Depending on the arrangement of atoms in the walls, the carbon macaroni either behave like metals or like semiconductors.’
- ‘Taiwan is now a world-class supplier of personal computers, computer components and accessories and semiconductors.’
- ‘One way is to shine a laser on a semiconductor to give some of its electrons a boost.’
- ‘The company also said the money raised would be mainly used to fund companies specialising in electronic commerce, semiconductors and software.’
- ‘This radiation damage can be avoided if a semiconductor other than silicon is used.’
- ‘Depending on the atomic species, ion beams can be used to dope semiconductors even as they carve out circuit patterns.’
- ‘Young has been studying properties of light, semiconductors and electronics since his days as a graduate student.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.