One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a written work) dealing partly with the writer's own life but also containing fictional elements.
- ‘Miss Drabble, 69, made the comments in her latest semi-autobiographical book The Pattern In The Carpet which is published next month.’
- ‘It would seem that Grisham has been aching to write a semi-autobiographical account of his childhood.’
- ‘There is a risk that modern audiences could miss the point of Noel Coward's semi-autobiographical play Present Laughter.’
- ‘Your story is told in Marcel Proust's semi-autobiographical novel "In Search of Lost Time."’
- ‘The semi-autobiographical "Florida" tells of two girls cheerfully heading down to the Sunshine State, only to become faces in the crowd.’
- ‘At the same time, the pacing is less frenzied, the attitude toward the semi-autobiographical protagonist free of narcissism.’
- ‘Richard E Grant's directorial debut is a semi-autobiographical account of his formative years in 1960s Swaziland.’
- ‘The Brisbane intellectual property lawyer whipped out a guitar and sang her way through her session, a reading from her semi-autobiographical novel.’
- ‘The Italian writer Primo Levi's semi-autobiographical book The Periodic Table comprises only twenty-one elemental chapter names.’
- ‘People assume that the novel is semi-autobiographical.’
- ‘This lapse into classic Bollywood cliché is one of many in Marjara's semi-autobiographical film Desperately Seeking Helen.’
- ‘Princesa is based on the book of the same name, a semi-autobiographical story, co-written by the real Fernanda.’
- ‘Glen or Glenda is a semi-autobiographical tale about Glen's major life crisis.’
- ‘Broadcaster and author Melvyn Bragg will begin writing the third instalment of his semi-autobiographical series about a young boy growing up in post-war Britain.’
- ‘Africa also formed the backdrop to her semi-autobiographical Children of Violence series of five books spanning 1952 to 1969.’
- ‘He began writing and directing for television with the semi-autobiographical My Brother's Keeper and won numerous awards in his field.’
- ‘It's based on Henry Handel Richardson's semi-autobiographical novel.’
- ‘In 1986 Pryor himself directed and starred in the semi-autobiographical tale, Jo Jo Dancer, Your Life Is Calling.’
- ‘A more personal take on the costs of displacement appears in British artist Isaac Julien's semi-autobiographical film Paradise Omeros.’
- ‘Philip Ridley's script, which might possibly be at least semi-autobiographical, ensures great pacing with secrets gradually revealed throughout.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.