Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a written work) dealing partly with the writer's own life but also containing fictional elements.
- ‘Glen or Glenda is a semi-autobiographical tale about Glen's major life crisis.’
- ‘There is a risk that modern audiences could miss the point of Noel Coward's semi-autobiographical play Present Laughter.’
- ‘In 1986 Pryor himself directed and starred in the semi-autobiographical tale, Jo Jo Dancer, Your Life Is Calling.’
- ‘Richard E Grant's directorial debut is a semi-autobiographical account of his formative years in 1960s Swaziland.’
- ‘Philip Ridley's script, which might possibly be at least semi-autobiographical, ensures great pacing with secrets gradually revealed throughout.’
- ‘Africa also formed the backdrop to her semi-autobiographical Children of Violence series of five books spanning 1952 to 1969.’
- ‘The Italian writer Primo Levi's semi-autobiographical book The Periodic Table comprises only twenty-one elemental chapter names.’
- ‘Princesa is based on the book of the same name, a semi-autobiographical story, co-written by the real Fernanda.’
- ‘Your story is told in Marcel Proust's semi-autobiographical novel "In Search of Lost Time."’
- ‘It's based on Henry Handel Richardson's semi-autobiographical novel.’
- ‘A more personal take on the costs of displacement appears in British artist Isaac Julien's semi-autobiographical film Paradise Omeros.’
- ‘The Brisbane intellectual property lawyer whipped out a guitar and sang her way through her session, a reading from her semi-autobiographical novel.’
- ‘At the same time, the pacing is less frenzied, the attitude toward the semi-autobiographical protagonist free of narcissism.’
- ‘People assume that the novel is semi-autobiographical.’
- ‘The semi-autobiographical "Florida" tells of two girls cheerfully heading down to the Sunshine State, only to become faces in the crowd.’
- ‘This lapse into classic Bollywood cliché is one of many in Marjara's semi-autobiographical film Desperately Seeking Helen.’
- ‘He began writing and directing for television with the semi-autobiographical My Brother's Keeper and won numerous awards in his field.’
- ‘Broadcaster and author Melvyn Bragg will begin writing the third instalment of his semi-autobiographical series about a young boy growing up in post-war Britain.’
- ‘Miss Drabble, 69, made the comments in her latest semi-autobiographical book The Pattern In The Carpet which is published next month.’
- ‘It would seem that Grisham has been aching to write a semi-autobiographical account of his childhood.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.