One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A drama or similar entertainment with a substantial proportion of vocal music in addition to instrumental movements.
- ‘None of these were strictly semi-operas, but the spoken word continued to exert a strong influence.’
- ‘After the Restoration the masque transferred to the professional theatre, where its tradition continued in Purcell's semi-operas.’
- ‘This was the first semi-opera written from scratch, with more than a dozen musical episodes and using a huge orchestra.’
- ‘His Psyche of 1675 is an important forerunner of the semi-operas later taken up by Purcell and others.’
- ‘Pioneering began with the introduction of English semi-operas into the repertories of colonial theatres.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.