One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Fail to recognize or state the true value of.‘don't sell yourself short—you've got what it takes’
undervalue, underrate, underestimate, disparage, deprecate, belittleView synonyms
- ‘I think a lot of them sell themselves short.’
- ‘I wasn't keen on the title because I felt it sold the band short.’
- ‘The description sells Douglas a little short.’
- ‘Like a lot of modern audiences, those people are selling themselves short.’
- ‘Neither does he sell himself short on the talent front.’
- ‘To say Christopher is a well-connected British gent is to sell him short.’
- ‘In the same instance you shouldn't sell yourself short.’
- ‘Putting that understanding into words would only sell it short.’
- ‘Don't sell yourself short, you're a beautiful woman.’
- ‘But at every level, Clarke's proposal patronises these would-be undergraduates and sells them short.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.