One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Sell stock or other securities or commodities which one does not own at the time, in the hope of buying at a lower price before the delivery time.
- ‘Second, if the price of the stock goes up after you sell short, your potential loss grows.’
- ‘The NYSE calculates program trading as the sum of shares bought, sold and sold short in program trades.’
- ‘When the market rises and the bulls are greediest, the pros sell short.’
- ‘Short interest is simply the total number of shares of a company that have been sold short.’
- ‘ETFs can be bought on margin, sold short or bought at a limit price (a minimum or maximum price set by the investor).’
- ‘Also, since they trade intraday, ETFs can be bought long or sold short, used in hedge strategies and bought on margin.’
- ‘One million shares in company A have been sold short.’
- ‘When you sell short, you're betting that the price of a stock is going to go down.’
- ‘The stock began the year with 50 million shares sold short.’
- ‘The best shares to short - provided you believe the fundamentals of the company you are shorting are poor - are those where very few shares have been sold short.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.