Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A member of any of the Turkish dynasties that ruled Asia Minor in the 11th to 13th centuries, successfully invading the Byzantine Empire and defending the Holy Land against the Crusaders.
- ‘First Seljuks and later Ottomans maintained pressure on Constantinople, hoping to take a symbol of unconquered strength and great strategic importance.’
- ‘He also opposed the Khwarizmian Turks, who had succeeded the Seljuks in Asia Minor and who now were trying to make Nasir subject to them.’
- ‘The Seljuks - forebears of the Ottoman Turks - carved out the Sultanate of Rum as the Abbasid caliphate lost its grip over Asia Minor.’
- ‘Their victories against the Seljuks in Asia Minor brought them close to the Nicaean empire, and Vatazes was forced to return to Asia Minor.’
- ‘Historians have traced its genealogy to the architecture found in Asia Minor under the rule of the Seljuks in the early centuries of the second millennium.’
Relating to the Seljuks.
- ‘The invasions of the Seljuk Turkish dynasty introduced the Turkish language and customs.’
- ‘In the 11th century the Seljuk Turks took large parts of Asia Minor and overran Anatolia, menacing Christian pilgrims on their way to Jerusalem.’
- ‘In the eleventh century, the Seljuk Turks conquered Asia Minor (modern Turkey), which had been Christian since the time of St. Paul.’
- ‘Their conquests are known today as the Seljuk Empire, named after the leader who first united the tribes.’
- ‘Crossing Asia Minor, the crusaders defeated the Turks at Dorylaeum, captured the Seljuk sultan's tent and treasure, and opened the road to further advance.’
From Turkish seljūq, the name of the reputed ancestor of the dynasty.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.