Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Obstinately doing what one wants in spite of the wishes or orders of others.‘the child may be very obstinate and self-willed’
wilful, contrary, perverse, uncooperative, wayward, headstrong, stubborn, stubborn as a mule, obstinate, obdurate, pig-headed, mulish, intransigent, recalcitrant, refractory, stiff-necked, intractable, unpersuadable, ungovernable, difficult, disobedient, insubordinate, naughtycussedbloody-mindedcontumaciousView synonyms
- ‘If he is now self-centered, selfish, and self-willed, do not think that he is going to change himself or that you are going to be able to change him once you get him past the ceremony.’
- ‘This fits the notion that females are socialized to be dependent and obedient, while males are socialized to be independent and self-willed.’
- ‘It is not unreasonable to say that, for a visitor in Hinton's position, it took considerable insensitivity if not self-willed complicity not to be aware of what happened in those years.’
- ‘He was self-willed, obstinate, aggressive, vindictive, beset by feelings of inferiority, and yet firmly convinced of his own abilities.’
- ‘For the grey-haired, being young is often equated with being hot-headed, turbulent, self-willed, obstinate, and too hot to handle.’
- ‘A child with an unbroken will becomes self-willed.’
- ‘Henry's break from Rome is convincingly anatomised, and Catherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn both emerge as strong, self-willed players.’
- ‘Nicole Kidman shoulders the strong, self-willed, yet vulnerable protective mother's role with grace.’
- ‘The man corresponding to this would also have love of victory, and would be self-willed and unmusical.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.