One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Awareness of and ability to understand one's own actions and reactions.
- ‘Attention span, processing speed and memory improve, as do problem-solving skills and self-understanding.’
- ‘This feel-good platform of self-understanding is a big deal to Michelle, and she's terrific at swinging conversation around to it.’
- ‘The self-understanding of the West has been divided since the Enlightenment.’
- ‘His presence was real, part of the living tissue of our culture, our responses, our most intimate self-understanding.’
- ‘It tells the story of a mercenary who embarks on a journey of self-understanding and self-realization.’
- ‘The question of identity, the tenuous nature of self-understanding, and the seductions of self-delusion, are among her work's main themes.’
- ‘It is also the best path to self-understanding.’
- ‘Such individualism lies at the heart of Americans' self-understanding as a people but it is a new idea in Europe and it makes the French particularly uneasy.’
- ‘It is a neatly convenient justification - that even if participants are unhappy in the short term, the experience may enhance self-understanding.’
- ‘These sorts of skills - from information gathering to self-understanding - could be taught in primary school.’
- ‘Humans have the ability to reconstruct self-understanding, an ability expressed in their self-narratives.’
- ‘It was his view that our self-understanding and our understanding of our common situation have become ever less comprehensive, and so our capacity to respond is increasingly restricted.’
- ‘Throughout, Diaz pays careful attention to the gendering of this community's experience and self-understanding.’
- ‘He's started with an interesting exploration of his political philosophy, in pursuit of some self-understanding.’
- ‘Here he sounds like the cautious elder, advising a sympathetic intellectualism that would open people to self-understanding.’
- ‘For purposes of philosophical self-understanding, however, it is important to be clear that a phenomenon such as addiction can present different kinds of obstacles in the way of our acting well.’
- ‘Coherence is also increased by epistemological self-understanding: our understanding of why we accept the things we do.’
- ‘I asked him a fairly complicated question about the historical background to modern Irish self-understanding.’
- ‘The wildness of the forest enables a navigation of the mind so that a quest for self-understanding is akin to an exploration of the living natural world.’
- ‘Its aim is self-understanding, self-acceptance and self-realisation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.