One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The overcoming of the limits of the individual self and its desires in spiritual contemplation and realization.
- ‘Astrotherapy uses astrology as a guide to the transformation of personality, to self-actualization and self-transcendence.’
- ‘It is a dread, one might argue, stemming from wrestling against efforts to deny self-transcendence.’
- ‘These early personae can only tremble at the thought of such ‘daring,’ and their attraction to passive suffering results not from a desire for self-transcendence but from a yearning for their own dissolution.’
- ‘Religious experience or self-transcendence is fundamental to almost all cultures.’
- ‘It is not uncommon, for instance, to find that the driving force behind some charitable endeavors is ego and selfishness, though part of the giver's identity yearns for self-transcendence, selflessness and altruism.’
- ‘Clearly, doing this kind of spiritual healing work demands a high level of self-transcendence as well as a knack for not taking life too personally!’
- ‘Thus, genetic science illuminates some facets of human development and behavior, but it has not shown the basis for the apparently unique human capacity for self-transcendence.’
- ‘Such divine magicianship would extinguish any genuine evolutionary self-transcendence on the part of the cosmos.’
- ‘The authors found that the binding potential correlated inversely with scores for self-transcendence, a personality trait covering religious behavior and attitudes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.