One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The inflicting of pain, especially mental pain, on oneself.
- ‘Irene's subsequent self-torture echoes that of Rachel.’
- ‘We've always been a band that was into self-torture.’
- ‘Critics carped, but there was something sweet in seeing so much self-torture finally resolved.’
- ‘The self-torture gradually phased out as I undertook further reporting of business events.’
- ‘In essence, it's another form of self-torture.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.