Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of an album, CD, etc.) having a title that is the same as the performer's name.
- ‘Their first self-titled album is an undisputed classic, pairing dreamy doo-wop with atonal terror.’
- ‘Maradona is at the festival to promote a self-titled documentary made by Serbian director Emir Kusturica.’
- ‘With a bloodline as promising as this, the self-titled debut from the 28-year-old has been long anticipated.’
- ‘Loon released his self-titled debut on Bad Boy Records last year.’
- ‘On June 22, Planet Hollywood in Times Square held a party to promote thirteen-year-old pop sensation Jojo's self-titled debut album.’
- ‘Their self-titled CD is only a glimpse of what these guys are capable of.’
- ‘In 2002, Busted released their self-titled debut album.’
- ‘He followed it up five years later with a self-titled album that veered towards pop territory.’
- ‘Bublé has had an incredible year on the international stage, making a name for himself with his debut, self-titled CD.’
- ‘Hardy seems unsurprised by the consistency with which the self-titled debut has been selling.’
- ‘This year has found The Coral in rude health, building on the momentum of their self-titled debut album selling 270,000 copies.’
- ‘The third album, or the self-titled album, was influenced by a number of heady things.’
- ‘The best bits of her self-titled debut album suggest that she just might.’
- ‘The crunch of guitar is still well and truly there, but the band believe in harmonies and melodies too on this self-titled debut.’
- ‘In 1982, a self-titled album gave him another hit single, Loving You.’
- ‘Franz Ferdinand's self-titled album was released in February.’
- ‘1998 saw the UK-only release of his debut self-titled album, recorded in Dublin.’
- ‘The tour brings them to the Great Northern in Byron Bay tomorrow, May 9, where they will launch their new, self-titled EP with a set of new songs.’
- ‘The results of the newly formed group were first released in a now sold-out self-titled record on the Secret Eye label last year.’
- ‘The law of averages caught up with the Betas, however, on their self-titled debut full-length.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.