One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Such self-sacrificing acts of altruism require an explanation, because they seem to contradict what is expected in a world shaped by natural selection’
- ‘I'm not in this to be noble and self-sacrificing and it's taken a significant toll on my own work and on family life.’
- ‘As for the widow's mite, we have praised her devotion a zillion times, but none of us really wants a whole congregation full of generously self-sacrificing poor people, do we?’
- ‘He was every bit the generous, self-sacrificing, intelligent, witty and clever hero they described.’
- ‘I intend that the whole world shall see her as I do, as a noble, self-sacrificing human being.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.