The quality or state of being self-righteous.
sanctimoniousness, sanctimony, self-satisfaction, smugness, superiority, priggishness, complacency, piety, unctuousness, hypocrisyView synonyms
- ‘The self-righteousness and smugness of this man amazes me.’
- ‘There is more than enough trouble, pain, self-righteousness and hypocrisy.’
- ‘They feel righteous indignation but are not aware that others see it as self-righteousness, double standards and hypocrisy.’
- ‘Sadly this tone of sanctimonious self-righteousness characterises much of the exhibition.’
- ‘A point that a lot of people made was that this connects to the superiority and the self-righteousness.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.