Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Revealing one's character or motives, especially inadvertently.‘his most intimate and self-revealing book’
- ‘The letters, pictures and illustrations are documents that are self-revealing and transparent.’
- ‘It represents the most personal and self-revealing name of God.’
- ‘It is known as the dialogue between the Head and the Heart and is perhaps the most self-revealing letter that Jefferson ever wrote.’
- ‘For the historian, it is hard to assess the ‘beliefs’ of moderately ordinary people who did not leave behind self-revealing personal papers.’
- ‘She was very shy, so though she did write and was known as a very serious critic and journalist, when it came to writing novels which were more self-revealing, she chose to use a pseudonym, a man's name.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.